IVF (In Vitro Fertilization)
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is one of the most widely used procedures which is also known as ‘Test Tube Baby’. It is a procedure, wherein the eggs from the woman and the sperms from the male are fertilized outside the body and then placed back inside the woman under favourable conditions.
This procedure involves the following steps:
- Screening: In this procedure, the screening tests are carried out for both the woman and the male partner to evaluate the presence of any medical condition and cause of being unable to conceive. Both the partners are initiated with the required initial therapy to program the treatment cycle and avoid any possible delays.
- Counseling: The mental condition of couples undergoing an IVF cycle can be full of stress at times and the doctor decides on the counseling of the couple to enable them to cope up positively with the procedure and influence the outcome favourably.
- Ovarian Stimulation: Suitable drugs are employed by the doctor to produce several eggs inside the woman to stimulate her ovaries. This process is known as ‘Ovarian HyperStimulation’. Depending upon the specific condition of the patient the drugs used are decided upon by the treating doctor. These drugs are very specialized and are usually quite expensive. The cost of treatment of the patient depends to a large extent on these drugs being used. The doctor will use the best possible options and protocols suitable for you.
- Egg Collection: On the suggested day of the woman is admitted and the eggs are retrieved from her ovaries under ultrasound guidance through a fine needle which is passed through the vagina to the ovaries. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia but can be also done under sedation depending upon the patient’s condition. The patient is able to go home after the procedure and is advised to come back after another 2 – 3 days.
- Semen Collection: The semen is also collected from the male partner on the same day by masturbation. The semen collection can be done before or after the egg collection. It is advisable not to ejaculate at least 2 days before semen collection.
- After Egg and Sperm Collection: The eggs collected are now fertilized with sperms by regular IVF or ICSI by the suitable embryological procedure and kept in an incubator under simulated conditions to grow before being implanted inside the female.
- Embryo Transfer: Embryo Transfer (ET) is done two , three or five days after egg collection. Here the fertilized embryos are placed by the IVF specialist back into the uterus using a very fine tube. This procedure is very simple and takes a few minutes. The patient can go back home or to work after some time and all normal activities are permitted. However heavy work or lifting loads etc are not permitted. Our counsellor can help you to make this period after ET as stress free as possible.
- Pregnancy Test: A pregnancy test is carried out on the 14th or 15th day after embryo transfer to confirm pregnancy after the IVF procedure. An ultrasound test may be required after another 7 – 10 days after a positive pregnancy test.